|About the Book|
The first surviving illuminated manuscript of the French translation of Boccaccios De mulieribus claris, known as the Cleres femmes (now in the Bibliotheque Nationale, Paris), is the subject of this book. The manuscript was commissioned by a Parisian merchant, Jacques Raponde, as a New Years gift for the duke of Burgundy, Philip the Bold. This innovative aspect of the commission, where a merchant rather than a prince acted as the patron of the manuscript, provides the subject for the first part of Buettners study. In addition to sketching the Valois rulers practice of collecting illuminated manuscripts and to tracing the reasons for the successful reception of Boccaccios work in this courtly milieu, the author delineates the role of merchants in Parisian artistic production around 1400.